Tuesday 14 February 2012

Panic Over: For Now...


Phew! I can breathe again...

This morning I watched a new TTC vlog posted by someone that I subscribe to. It was titled something like 'why I hate digital tests'. The title puzzled me as I LOVE digital tests - they give you a clear answer: Pregnant or Not Pregnant. To make matters worse, the vlog was about my favourite brand: ClearBlue - even more puzzled...until I had finished watching.

This particular lady, like me, had an ectopic pregnancy last year. At the beginning of this year she was convinced that she was pregnant as she was experience many of the symptoms she had felt in her previous pregnancy. So she took a test; a ClearBlue Digital. 'Pregnant'. Obviously she was overjoyed, told her partner and booked in to have her beta levels checked. Her beta levels came back at 0. ?????
A week later, she took another test and again it came back as 'Pregnant'. She showed this to her Dr but yet again her beta came back at 0. She had gotten TWO false positives from her HPTs.

After watching this I decided to research it - by research I clearly mean I asked Google. I was shocked by how many other people had experienced the same! I was SO worried as I had gotten my positive from the brand that everyone was now saying not to trust.

Fortunately for me there is a Pregnancy Crisis Centre in the same block that I work in that my friend heads up. She gave me a free test, just a cheapy one.



Positive.

Praise the Lordy Lord!!



My heart really goes out to the people that receive false positives though - especially after trying for so long and even more so after experiencing a loss. To be given false hope; a false joy - that's not fair. Apparantly, these digital tests pick up all sorts of hormones during ovualtion and even around AF which can potentially result in these false positives. Shocking really.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww god love u!! lol im sure ur head was wrecked after watching that! glad u r still def pregnant :):) xx

Hoping.Wishing.Praying said...

Oh my goodness, my heart sank and then was literally going a million mph after watching that! Can't imagine how that poor girl felt though.
But yes, so very relieved to see those 2 pink lines - pheeeeew! x

Wishful Mom2be said...

Congrats! Aren't you going to do a beta though, to see the growth?

Post a Comment